The Beginning of the Affair

The Beginning of the Affair

Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Global Gastronomy

I was recently inspired to unearth some of my travel journal entries when--at Sunday brunch of course--I met this lovely young woman, Noelle Ashley, an international travel writer. She has a blog too: internationaljetsetter.blogspot.com. Check out her pieces on Hamansi food in Belize and "sublime" French food in St. Barth's. The food looks amazing.

I like to travel and I like to experience different cultures through food. I seek out local markets, "hole-in-the-wall" gems, and convenience stores that carry as many different types of candy as they do calling cards. Fancy food in four-star restaurants are often too expensive and never as satisfying as the fried fish at Food Street in Pakistan, the fresh soy donuts from the donut stands in Japan, or the mountains of nutty chocolately gelati that impose their majesticity on passersby all over Italy. So I like to eat my way through cities indulging my palette without digging too deeply into my wallet. Speaking of digging in...

Here's a preview of things to come:

Mussels
The Robust Flavors of Southern Italian Cooking

"The single most delicious mussel I have ever had was at a trattoria on Elba Island in Southern Italy. A dish of risotto bejeweled with mussels, clams, shrimp, and scallops was set on the table and for a moment I just sat there. I was a giddy little food freak just oggling the dish in all its sexy seafood glory..."







No comments: